Day One : Tuesday, May 12, 2020
Registration and Continental Breakfast
Developing a Data Culture for Effective Data Governance
- The importance of developing a workplace culture that cares about its data
- How effective data governance comes from a positive workplace mindset
- How do you want your data to work for you?
- What does data mean for your organization?
- How to develop a culture that cares about data
The Chief Data Officer: Why They Matter and How to Affect Change
- What is a CDO and how is it beneficial?
- The benefits of separating data governance and traditional IT roles
- Why is a CDO effective? How can you best leverage your position to affect change in your team and organization?
- Why data governance roles can suffer as a subset of IT
- Improving data processes and management through the lens of a data officer
- A look at Transport Canada’s approach to data governance
- Developing data strategies and using holistic methods to assess the effectiveness of those strategies
- Data Service Desks; developing and using tools to strengthen data governance initiatives
- Improving the quality of data and establishing consistent verification standards
- What is a data steward?
- The role of a data steward in data and operational oversight
- How is the role of a data steward different from an IT role?
- What is a data steward responsible for?
- How can you use and develop an effective data steward for your organization?
- How the Canadian Border Services Agency transitioned from having IT heavy roles to incorporating data governance initiatives
- Implementing new data governance processes
- Building systems and processes to verify data and metadata integrity
- Conceptualizing business data entities and forming data strategies
End of Day One
Day Two : Wednesday, May 13, 2020
Registration and Continental Breakfast
- Initiating data management and data processes towards complying with the Treasury Board’s Guidelines on Data
- Developing better ways of not only analyzing data, but data collection as well
- Building data management and metadata frameworks
- What are some other ways we can view data? How can we think outside the box to develop more effective data management and management processes?
- Using data governance principles to tie everything together
Data Ethics in Practice: What separates data ethics from privacy?
- Developing a sustainable data ethics code to address the digital world; translating ethics into practice
- What does your organization want to do with your data?
- What does your organization want to regulate and protect users from?
- What does the role of data governance look like for the public service moving forward?
- How will data governance structures change the way we use and view data?
- Improving the availability and access of government services
- How data governance can be used to improve faith in the public service
- Future plans and initiatives for the public service
- A focus on the main users of data: the end consumer
- How can we change the way we view data governance to focus on those that need it most?
- How data governance is viewed currently and difficulties that view can create
- How can effective data governance make data easier to access and verify for consumers?
- A case study on how the city of Edmonton is implementing its data governance framework
- Implementing data governance at the municipal level
- A review of the steps followed, lessons learned, and outlook for the future
- Working around existing ad-hoc infrastructure to make it work for you
- Developing a data governance team from the ground-up
- How can private and public sectors work together in data governance initiatives?
- The use of CalTRACS, Miovision, and struggles with data privacy
- How does data governance work in practice for urban planning?
- How can technology be used to enhance urban living?
- Issues regarding reasonable retention and reprocessing data
End of Day Two