Day One : Tuesday, February 9, 2021
10:00 EST15 min
10:15 EST45 min
- How Alberta is putting citizens front and centre
- Who is leading the transformation?
- User research and design
- Working differently with the vendor community
- Tackling systemic barriers to innovation
- Lessons learned in developing digital services: childcare, traffic tickets, Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped
- The need for in-person research with real users (evidence and empathy)
- Hiring and growing digital roles to create a community of digital practitioners
- Iterative innovation – new ways of planning and budgeting
11:00 EST60 min
Antiquated equipment, restrictive legislation, complex procurement rules, a risk averse culture, purchase and funding cycles that do not support digital methodology: The forces mitigating against digital government are very real. These thought leaders will share their ideas, strategies and solutions for working toward the necessary breakthroughs.
- What prevents innovation?
- What is agility?
- Why is it hard to be agile in the context of government?
- What are the barriers to adoption?
- What are the solutions?
- Working in a risk averse culture
- Work around’s when faced with outdated legislative requirements
- The need for legislation, policies and directives to be in technologically- neutral language that leaves room for innovation
- Stewardship of strategic leaders
- Roles of upper and middle management in the transition
- Use of social media to encourage one-on-one dialogue about the digital mindset
- Driving the people part of digital transformation
12:00 EST60 min
13:00 EST45 min
- Starting Up
- Product / Solution Strategy (Design Sprints)
- Algorithmic Marketing Solutions (Growth Hacking)
- Execution Strategy
- Scaling Up
13:45 EST45 min
In the traditional tendering process bidders provide a detailed outline of the solution the client asks for. Agile procurement, on the other hand, is “challenge-based procurement,” where government describes the problem it wishes to have solved and invites bidders to provide solutions. Find out about this new approach including:
- Giving the problem to the marketplace
- What the RFP looks like
- Possible glitches
- What has worked and what has not
- Evaluating proposed solutions
- Working with government
14:30 EST15 min
14:45 EST45 min
Learn from the experience of this Senior Project Manager including
- The process – from concept to completion
- Role of team members
- Solutions to barriers encountered
- What we learned about agility and digital services
15:30 EST45 min
- Why is digital transformation so difficult
- What is citizen-centred transformation?
- Role of performance metrics
- Lessons learned from transformation projects with the Government of Canada
- Practical advice about how to lead, manage and increase the velocity of transformation in your own organization
End of Day One
Day Two : Wednesday, February 10, 2021
10:00 EST10 min
10:10 EST50 min
- What are the competencies required for success?
- Digital skills – as much about orientation and mindset as technical ability
- How do you upgrade digital capacity of existing employees
- Cultivating a community of digital practitioners
- Digital Training Needs Analysis – Dalhousie
- Where do you hire/find new talent
- Competency-based hiring and promotion
- Writing job descriptions for the agile workforce
11:00 EST15 min
- Understanding and evaluating your level of digital literacy
- Creating a digital literacy strategy
- Leveraging digital literacy for positive changes throughout the organization
- How to manage the successful roll-out of initiatives
11:15 EST45 min
GC Notify is a free tool developed by the Canadian Digital Service (CDS) platform team that provides a simple and efficient way for government to send email and text notifications to the people that rely on their services
- Design thinking – user centricity
- Agile methodology how does it differ from traditional waterfall methodology
- How we dealt with barriers
- How we collaborated
- Finding the minimal viable product – the least complete product that you can create that will fully test an idea
- Dealing with fear of failure and its consequences
12:00 EST45 min
12:45 EST45 min
- The developer, your primary customer
- Community approach at the BCDevExchange, OpenSource
- Gene Kim, Phoenix Project and Unicorn Project
- A service design approach to DevOps Enablement
- Site reliability engineering: reliability vs velocity
- Automation, Bots, GitOps and Coming Up: AiOps
- Challenges and opportunities
13:30 EST45 min
- Transformative power of AI, Chatbots, RPA and Blockchain: what are they and how can they potentially work together?
- Opportunities and challenges
- What makes a good use case in government?
- When to apply these technologies to help you to work smarter;
- Real examples of how these technologies have been applied in government
14:15 EST45 min
Organizations can no longer rely on traditional static and snapshot-like risk management and reporting, and must, therefore, be nimble enough to continuously anticipate, read, and respond as risks arise. The high level of ambiguity, uncertainty and a wide range of possible futures also hinder the ability to deal confidently with traditional risk models.
- How do we adequately engage senior management committees?
- What questions should you be ready to answer
- Has management identified and evaluated the highest disruptive risks to the organization?
- Are risk management mechanisms fluid enough to continuously identify and respond to disruptive risks?
15:00 EST15 min
15:15 EST45 min
Digital Services and Cloud
- Important lessons learned and mistakes you can avoid
- Learning when you roll up your sleeves
- What can go wrong, what will go wrong and what is avoidable
16:00 EST45 min
- Accessible Canada Act, update, status and overview
- What are the implications of this legislation in the context of digital government services?
- The relationship between the Standard on Web Accessibility, the Accessible Canada Act, and WCAG
- Integrating the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) across an AGILE lifecycle and framework
- Questions and Answers: bring those hard questions to an 18 year veteran of the WCAG
End of Day Two