Day One: Wednesday, September 15, 2021
10:30 EDT ( 07:30 PDT )15 min
10:45 EDT ( 07:45 PDT )45 min
- Making Corporate Values Count – corporate values can be bland but…
- Aligning with People – reflecting a culture of the people
- Obligations and Risks – balancing responsibilities and the opportunities to be different
- Leadership: exercising great leadership with courage
11:30 EDT ( 08:30 PDT )45 min
- What is strategic HR as it relates to L&D?
- What are the benefits and how can this apply to your organization?
- Understanding where your employees came from, in order to support them in where they want to grow
- Developing employees into successful leaders
12:15 EDT ( 09:15 PDT )45 min
13:00 EDT ( 10:00 PDT )45 min
- Decolonization may not be the solution.
- What is the true cause?
- Recovery, restorative justice and reconciliation.
- Indigenous Wellness and Training Society
13:45 EDT ( 10:45 PDT )45 min
- Definition of Diversity
- The importance of Diversity in the C Suite.
- The benefits for the organization, employees, clients, and the economy
- How to build a systematic approach to Diversity and Inclusion
- Diversity Goals and Targets
- Implementing Diversity and Inclusion
14:30 EDT ( 11:30 PDT )60 min
- Emerging Ideas about Resilience
- Values that support growth
- Principles, Actions, and Behaviors required for Resilience in the workplace
- Benefits in the organization
- Input and discussion
15:30 EDT ( 12:30 PDT )45 min
16:15 EDT ( 13:15 PDT )60 min
- The power of reconnection
- Journey of reclaiming Indigenous identity, taking pride in culture, healing through traditions
- Overcoming the effects of intergenerational trauma
- Sharing her passion to inspire, uplift, and reminds us to always dream big
17:15 EDT ( 14:15 PDT )
Day Two: Thursday, September 16, 2021
10:30 EDT ( 07:30 PDT )min
10:30 EDT ( 07:30 PDT )45 min
- What is Lateral Violence? “A Wounded Spirit”
- Causes of Lateral Violence “Lost Identity”
- Forms of Lateral Violence “Left Vulnerable”
- Addressing Lateral Violence “Re-Awakening”
- Onward from Lateral Violence “Reclamation”
11:15 EDT ( 08:15 PDT )45 min
The Alberta Public Service (APS) is dedicated to providing optimum environments and opportunities to garner social support, connect with senior leaders and organizational systems, educate colleagues, encourage career advancement and advance the goals of our organizations. The Employee Resource Groups (ERG’s) are part and parcel of our Diversity and Inclusion plan.
ERGs are voluntary groups that bring together diverse APS employees who share a common identity, characteristics, and/or bond or background. The primary purpose of these groups is to support diversity and further inclusion in the APS. Specifically, the Indigenous ERG – the Indigenous Employee Circle provides a supportive environment and network and:
- is dedicated to supporting Indigenous employees body, mind, spirit and emotion through working with Elders and practicing our cultures,
- provides opportunities to APS staff to learn about Indigenous histories and cultures and to bust common myths and misconceptions about Indigenous peoples, creating a safe work environment,
- has a guiding principle that every decision should result in sustainable relationships today and seven generations into the future, to help make the GoA a positive working experience for Indigenous and non-Indigenous staff,
- members listen generously and respect alternative ways of knowing, providing for open dialogue with the purpose of increasing understanding, sharing information, and building meaningful relationships in order to guide directed studies regarding diversity and inclusion,
- all circle members are encouraged to promote the goals and principles of the Circle. They will each take on roles to deliver on actions identified through consensus decision making,
The presentation will review the IERG network, its activities, and its supportive systems.
12:00 EDT ( 09:00 PDT )45 min
12:45 EDT ( 09:45 PDT )45 min
- Importance of a diverse workforce
- Creating an inclusive workplace
- How this impact the Recruitment and Retention of Indigenous Employees
13:30 EDT ( 10:30 PDT )45 min
- What is lateral violence? What does it mean to you?
- Lateral violence in the workplace and why do we participate in Lateral Violence
- How Lateral Violence impacts on the workplace Individuals, Families, Community, and the Organizations
- Duty to Accommodate and procedural duty to accommodate
- Examples of duty to accommodate and the meaning of undue hardship
14:15 EDT ( 11:15 PDT )60 min
- Fostering the Relationships
- Speaking their language
- Going the Extra Mile for them
- Sponsorship +
15:15 EDT ( 12:15 PDT )45 min
16:00 EDT ( 13:00 PDT )60 min
- What is employee engagement?
- Should you invest in employee engagement?
- As a leader, how are you creating meaning and purpose for your employees?
- How does employee engagement impact your organizational culture?
- Employee engagement best practices
17:00 EDT ( 14:00 PDT )
Day Three: Friday, September 17, 2021
10:30 EDT ( 07:30 PDT )min
10:30 EDT ( 07:30 PDT )60 min
- Indigenous Candidate Recruitment
- Indigenous Culture in the Workplace
- Training and development for Indigenous Managers and Non-Indigenous Managers on sensitivities to cultural needs in Managing employees
- Strategies in Indigenous Employee Retention
11:30 EDT ( 08:30 PDT )60 min
- Envisioning organizational design
- Understand emerging leadership trends
- The Impacts of leadership on an workplace
- Defining and creating culture through leadership
- Creating a personal leadership improvement plan
12:30 EDT ( 09:30 PDT )45 min
13:15 EDT ( 10:15 PDT )60 min
14:15 EDT ( 11:15 PDT )60 min
- About Tsawwassen First Nation (TFN). Its past, present, and future
- The HR management function and TFN’s recruitment priorities
- Supporting and building TFN Members’ professional development
- Meeting operational needs through staffing in a fast growing Treaty Nation
- Attracting talent in a competitive urban environment
15:15 EDT ( 12:15 PDT )60 min
- Code of Ethics in the Workplace
- Addresses a potential toxic work environment
- Addresses lateral violence in the workplace
- Federal Act and the Pandemic Restrictions
16:15 EDT ( 13:15 PDT )