I am not one of those lawyers that is ideologically married to one side. While many individuals have their rights trampled on, I have also seen employees take advantage of those same rights to the detriment of their employer. I realize that there is good and bad in every group, and I believe that being able to advise Employers and Employees makes me a better lawyer than only seeing matters from one perspective.
Since I have also been trained in Alternative Dispute Resolution techniques and act as a Mediator in Employment matters, I am able to see things from a third side: that of a neutral third party, working with those involved to achieve a reasonable resolution to their issues. I pride myself on providing objective, strategic advice to my clients, whichever “side” they are on.
I am proud of the recognition I have received, including being
- selected by my peers for inclusion in ‘The Best Lawyers in Canada’ in the area of Employment Law for the past nine years in a row;
- routinely named in Canadian HR Reporter’s Employment Lawyers Directory (a comprehensive directory of the top employment law and immigration law practitioners in Canada),
- recognized as one of Canada’s top Legal Social Media Influencers, and
- recognized as the only Legal Influencer in Canadian HR Law in the first Lexology Awards.
In addition, my Toronto area employment law firm, Rudner Law, was
- selected as the Silver Winner for Best Labour & Employment Boutique Law Firm in the seventh annual Canadian HR Awards, presented by HRD Canada and supported by Canadian HR Reporter
- named one of the Top 3 Employment and Labour Boutiques in Canada in the Canadian HR Reporter’s Readers’ Choice Awards for 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Awarded the 2021 Business Achievement Award, Professional Services by the Richmond Hill Board of Trade
- Selected as the Gold Winner for Best Labour & Employment Boutique Law Firm in the 2023 annual Canadian HR Awards, presented by HRD Canada and supported by Canadian HR Reporter
- Selected as the Silver Winner for Best Labour & Employment Boutique Law Firm in the seventh annual Canadian HR Awards in 2020, presented by HRD Canada and supported by Canadian HR Reporter
- Selected as a finalist for Best Labour & Employment Boutique Law Firm in 2021 and 2022 Canadian HR Awards, presented by HRD Canada and supported by Canadian HR Reporter
I am a firm believer in education. I frequently chair and teach at conferences, participate in seminars and webinars, and provide commentary to the media on Employment Law matters. Recently, I have been providing expert analysis to 680 News as their “go-to Employment Lawyer”.
I designed Osgoode Professional Development’s HR Law for HR Professionals Certificate course, which I am also the founding Director of. I also co-designed and am co-founding Program Director of their Advanced HR Law for HR Professionals Certificate course.
As a firm and with my family, I support a number of worthwhile causes including 360Kids, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, United Way, One Voice Network, Job Skills, Family Education Centre, Lawyers International Food Enterprise (LIFE), and Volunteer Lawyers Network.
I also believe in giving back to the professional communities that I am part of. Since the start of my career, I have been actively involved in the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations and have held several leadership positions. I have also volunteered countless hours leading sessions on HR Law topics and serving on committees for the HRPA. Since our firm is based in York Region, I take particular pride in sponsoring the York Region Chapter of the HRPA and presenting an annual Employment Law update for our membership.
With two active children, much of my time is spent in dance studios and hockey arenas (and, of course, in my car driving them to and from games, practices, tournaments and competitions). I am a firm believer in using technology to make my life easier without sacrificing the needs of my clients. Rather than being chained to my desk, I can be out and about with my family. I may be at the rink, but you will find me if you need help.
Ultimately, the most important thing is my family, and a close second is knowing that my clients are confident that they can count on our team to provide them with the cost-effective, strategic advice that they need.