Day One: Tuesday, February 6, 2024
10:30 EST15 min
10:45 EST60 min
- Data governance through the asset lens
- Managing data as an asset
- Leveraging the asset that is data
- Examples of data as an asset within a crown corporation
11:45 EST60 min
- Establish data and metadata governance frameworks to regulate data usage and ensure compliance
- Develop uniform data management practices
- Continuously oversee data quality, security, and metadata accuracy
12:45 EST45 min
13:30 EST60 min
- Ensure seamless integration of data culture with data governance practices
- Equip employees with the skills and mindset to leverage data effectively
- Instill a data culture that promotes understanding, appreciation, and responsible use of data across all organizational levels
14:30 EST60 min
The City of Port Moody implemented an Electronic Records Management System (ERMS). I applied change management strategies to ensure employee acceptance
- Employee reality to change and risks of not addressing them
- Importance of training and consequences of no training
- Steps in change management process
- What worked and what did not work, and why
15:30 EST60 min
- Implement a comprehensive spatial data management system, streamlining data acquisition, storage, and retrieval processes
- Design and execute diverse spatial data use cases, leveraging advanced GIS technologies to analyze geographic patterns
- Spearhead the integration of spatial data into cross-functional workflows
Day Two: Wednesday, February 7, 2024
10:30 EST60 min
- “In today’s data-centric era, enterprises and institutions continually seek avenues to optimize the worth of their data assets. ” Unleashing the Power of Data Governance for Data-Driven Decision-Making” delves into the pivotal role of data governance in facilitating data-driven decision-making processes.
- This talk explores the concept of data governance, dissects its components, and elucidates its significance in the contemporary landscape. It unveils the hurdles that organizations encounter while managing substantial data volumes and furnishes practical remedies for the efficacious implementation of data governance.
- By delving into real-world case studies from Federal Governments of Estonia and Brazil spanning diverse geographical contexts, we gain insight into how data governance can elevate data from a mere resource to a strategic asset. It underscores the criticality of data quality, security, and compliance, vividly illustrating how these facets intricately weave into the tapestry of data governance.
- In essence, ” Unleashing the Power of Data Governance for Data-Driven Decision-Making” delivers a compelling analysis on how data governance can empower organizations to make confident data-driven decisions, ultimately steering them towards success in an increasingly data-centric world, while also contributing to fairness and equitable service provision.”
11:30 EST60 min
- Implement data sharing frameworks to enhance collaboration
- Streamline data sharing processes to optimize efficiency and enable faster decision-making within government operations
- Foster a culture of data sharing by promoting awareness, training, and incentives
- Facilitate secure and controlled data sharing through the establishment of robust privacy and security protocols
- Promote innovation by leveraging shared data to develop citizen-centric services and solutions
12:30 EST45 min
13:15 EST60 min
- Integrate data quality measures seamlessly into the fabric of government processes
- Establish a robust framework and protocol for continuous monitoring and a reactive response
- Foster a culture of accountability and ownership, where stakeholders actively engage in maintaining and improving data quality
14:15 EST60 min
In an era where every organization is integral to a data-driven landscape, public entities are evolving into complex data governments with intricate data hubs and platforms. This shift brings to the forefront legal challenges in data strategy implementation, heightened by emerging copyright lawsuits in AI-generated data and stringent privacy laws affecting data collection, usage, and anonymization. This session provides crucial insights for legally navigating these challenges, ensuring efficient, user-centric, and compliant data project design.
Key Discussion Points:
- AI Copyrights and Legal Dynamics: Demystifying the application of copyright law to AI-generated data, addressing contemporary legal hurdles.
- Mastering Anonymization within Legal Boundaries: Uncovering the legal subtleties of data anonymization practices, aligned with stringent privacy regulations, particularly in AI-driven scenarios.
- Harmonizing Data Licensing with Legal Compliance: Strategies for legal alignment in data licensing and usage, tailored for AI technologies and their unique demands.
- Legal Dimensions of Open Source and Open Data: Navigating the legal terrain surrounding the use of open-source and open data, ensuring legal compliance in these innovative domains.
- Legal Roadmap for AI Deployment: Actionable legal guidance for deploying AI technologies, focusing on adherence to privacy laws and effective data management.
15:15 EST60 min
Addressing the Skills Gap in Data Governance: Strategies for Building Competency and Capability
- Assess the existing skill gaps in data governance by conducting a comprehensive analysis of the organization’s current capabilities
- Provide targeted training programs and workshops to equip employees with the necessary knowledge and skills in data governance practices, frameworks, and tools
- Develop a structured career development plan that includes opportunities for employees to enhance their data governance skills through mentoring, on-the-job training, and continuous learning initiatives
- Foster collaboration and knowledge sharing among employees by creating communities of practice or establishing cross-functional teams
- Actively recruit individuals with expertise in data governance or related disciplines to fill skill gaps and bring in fresh perspectives